Saturday, March 2, 2013

Touching Her

She smiled at me, she winked, she laughed…but I couldn't touch her. She was right in front of me but I could not adjust her long, dark hair, tilt her oval chin or trace a playful line down a side of her glowing face. She wanted me to hold her, I saw it in her eyes yet I didn't.
We talked for several short hours throughout that day on life, love, politics and the future. We made and played beautiful music and told tales of the nostalgic past.
I looked away again, made no attempt to hide my false interest in the surrounding scenery because I’d somehow noticed how her smile got brighter when she thought I wasn't paying  attention. I totally deceived her. She thought I was staring at other things…but I was only trying to get a better view. All of my optical focus was directed to peripheral vision so I could ‘scope’ her face, optimally. No harm in that tiny bit of dishonesty, eh?
It was wonderful, being with a woman who understood me. I was filled to bursting with a strong soothing sense of peace and balance. Work and hustle, fights and tussles would inevitably resume the next day, but that moment, that night, all I wanted was to reach out, take her hand and savour the feel of her warm skin against mine as I fell asleep.
But then she stopped smiling, because I got cocky and told her about my little observation. She held her face stoically,summoned that impressive self-will I admired, and I knew I was in trouble .Nothing more that I said, however funny, sarcastic or satirical elicited a change in her facial expression. I contemplated capitulation but my pride disagreed. I refused to humbly retract my statement, therefore our petty mind-game continued. I bet I could have ‘won’ easily if I’d played dirty by subtly reminding her of my feelings for,  and perception of her.
She admonished me to give up but I cheerfully retorted with references to gallant heroes of history and lore, and some very current and contemporary, thieving villains. I opined that if even the vile and contemptible were dedicated, how could I do less?
Needless to say, I lost that contest. She didn’t budge even when I attempted way to obscure and obfuscate her sterling victory, by suggesting that I had a bigger plot in place which she’d been unwittingly subject to.
Perhaps it was compensation for my ‘loss’, but when I finally said farewell, she bid me come closer, and plastered a swift, crimson seal on my lips.
OR, that’s what would have happened, if only I could have touched her.
I smiled at the IM audible she sent, and signed out. My webcam’s blue light, fizzled out and yielded to the darkness.

11 comments:

  1. touching and heartfelt coming from a mind deviod of sadness but greatness,sucess and hapiness.love should not only be physical but poetic

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its good. Short. Straight forward. More descriptions needed. Too safe.

      Delete
  3. Mayb u cudnt mk a move cos d babe wasn't pretty enuf...lol...nice story tho!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @eb: Oh, but she was. She is...
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I'm not a funny clown. Also Tolu, this is very good. I don't want to go overboard with the comments as I don't want it to look like I'm kissing ur ass. But you really waxed lyrical on this mate. Spellbinding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very well written but i'll agree wit the 'too safe' opinion of don cross *winks*

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol, 'too safe'? hahaha, I guess :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd very much like to hear your thoughts on this